Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Writing Resources

I wanted to list out a number of resources that I have found useful to date. This list is likely to change, but my intention is to keep it up in some form from now on.

My first question was how to format this list. I could just do a data dump and let people sort through it, but that is not very helpful and can actually be annoying for myself and you. Instead, I can group them according to some key dimensions. The challenge on the second one is ensuring that I get the correct keywords and descriptions.

After due consideration, I'm going with the second option and we'll adjust as necessary in the future.

Meeting other writers:
Absolute Write - Just was told about this one, but I like it already. Still looking around, so I can't give too much detail about it's inner working and all.
Writing.com - Been on here for about a year now. I really like the number of writing contests and the help given to newbies, but the emphasis on posting to the site concerns me. Personally, I want to see my work in print. Posting to Writing.com CAN create potential issues with first publication rights. Whether the issue would win or lose in court is a matter of fierce debate, but my bottom line is that I would rather avoid the possibility.
Script Frenzy - Great resource while it is happening. Outside these times, this well dries up. You might cling to a few friends in the intervening months, but that's the only yearlong help this can offer.
NaNoWriMo - Another great resource while it is happening. The community is growing so more interaction outside of November may begin to happen, but I haven't noticed it yet. Similar to Script Frenzy, there is the possibility of holding on to friends after the crazy month ends.

In my local area there is also the Atlanta Writer's Club. They have activities going on all around the Atlanta area, so check the specifics for your locale. I've never been and only just heard about them, so I don't have any additional insight about them at this point.

I had intended to make this more inclusive, but my day is getting away from me. I will post more tomorrow.

No comments: