Thursday, June 28, 2007

SCRIPTFRENZY WIN!!

Well, it's official. At about 9:30 pm last night, I finished my first screenplay. Space Bugs is still the working title and I am very satisfied with how it turned out. My final word count is at 20,099 words, so just eked in. I know I created some gaps though which I will add to the script to fix. I'm going to fix the major stuff today and tomorrow and then put it up for a while. After my head clears I'll come back and edit it. I have a tentative gameplan of submitting it in September. This is dictated by wanting to let it sit on a shelf in July and then do an edit in early August. After that edit I'll let it sit for a few weeks and then do another edit in late August or early September. After that have some test readers and let it fly.

On a side note, Script Frenzy appears to have overstepped themselves. I'm not positive, but it appears that the Young Writer's program got more money than could be afforded. They are basically begging at this point and I find myself torn. On one side I don't have a problem with the donation, but on the other side it seems like I'm bailing them out. I participated in Script Frenzy specifically because it was free and I am just getting my career going. Yet now, what appears to be fiscal irresponsibility is causing them to pressure me and others to make donations. Not how I like to do business personally. I have no decisions yet, but thought I would mention that this appears to be an example of making sure you understand your limitations. If you want to make a donation, click HERE.

In other news, I am really eager to do some more work on my Agent P character. This was a fluke from Writing.com which I enjoyed thoroughly and for which I recieved a lot of positive praise. I talked about trying to push him to publication before, but never went after it. Of course, that was when my confidence level was lower. I am thinking that I will do 14 stories targetted at the 6-9 yr old age range. I'm going to sketch out what that would take and see if I can turn out a story or two.

I also turned out a 2300 word piece yesterday for an absolute write contest. I posted for feedback, but I intend to edit it today and then shelve it for two weeks. Hopefully it can go out by the end of July. I think it was a good piece, although I have no feedback yet.

On the brat front, I am pulling together ideas for a children's or young adults series where the main characters will be military brats in a fantasy setting. My thought is that their problems will be similar, but different. Whereas many others might have the brat side as a background element, my characters will have it as a focal point driving them through the story(ies). I am targetting completion of the story outlines for the end of next week.

I also recieved copies of Third Culture Kids, by David Pollock, and my copy of the book spotlighted in the information bar, Mary Weichert's Military Brats. Here's a link to David's book on Amazon:

Wow! Will wonders never cease. I was getting the link for David's book and stumbled on this one.

Someone else is helping TCKs, even if not specifically BRATs. Please note, I have never heard of this book before today, so check it out at your own risk.

Feel free to leave a comment if you have suggestions on any of these ideas.

No comments: